New User Signup
Before using any Computing Service facilities you must agree to the following statement.
I understand that allocations of computing resources are made and may only be used subject to the Rules issued from time to time by the University of Cambridge Information Strategy and Services Syndicate (see below). I have read these rules and agree to abide by them. N.B. It is sometimes the case that system staff will need to look at your account(s) or how you access your account(s) to solve system problems, because of suspected misuse of your account, or to enable the legitimate business of the University to continue in your absence.
The Information Strategy and Services Syndicate has published guidelines which amplify the Rules and give advice on what is and is not permitted in certain circumstances
Rules Made by the Information Strategy and Services Syndicate
The most recent version of the rules made by the Information Strategy and Services Syndicate under the provisions of Regulation 5(g) for the Syndicate for the use of University and College information technology facilities is set out below. It should be noted that, although that regulation limits any fine to the sum of £175, offenders may also be required to reimburse costs, which may amount to a much larger sum.
The term IT facilities shall mean the facilities of the University Computing Service, and all other information technology facilities provided by the University, and any in College institutions designated by the appropriate College authority concerned as facilities to which these rules shall apply.
IT facilities are provided for use only in accordance with the aims of the University and the Colleges as promulgated from time to time, unless stated otherwise by the appropriate Authorized Officer.
- No person shall use IT facilities, or allow them to be used by others, without due authorization given by the Syndicate or by the appropriate Authorized Officer, who may impose conditions of use to ensure efficient operation.
- By means of published documentation an Authorized Officer may designate an IT facility as authorized for use by specified classes of persons and for specified purposes. In the case of facilities not so designated, resources are allocated individually; every such allocation of IT resources shall be used only for the designated purpose and only by the person to whom the allocation was made. Use shall not be made of IT resources allocated to another person or group of persons unless such use has been specifically authorized by the Syndicate or by the appropriate Authorized Officer.
- No person shall by any wilful, deliberate, reckless, unlawful act, or omission interfere with the work of another user or jeopardize the integrity of data networks, computing equipment, systems programs, or other stored information.
- All persons authorized to use IT facilities shall be expected to treat as privileged any information which may become available to them through the use of such facilities and which is not obviously intended for unrestricted dissemination; such information shall not be copied, modified, disseminated, or used, either in whole or in part, without the permission of the appropriate person or body.
- In the case of any information which is designated in a Notice issued by or on behalf of the Syndicate as proprietary or otherwise confidential, every person using IT facilities shall be required:
- to observe any instructions that may be issued specifying ways in which the information may be used;
- not to copy, modify, disseminate, or make use of it in any way not specified in those instructions, without first obtaining permission from the appropriate Authorized Officer.
- No person shall use IT facilities to hold or process personal data except in accordance with the provisions of relevant legislation, including the Data Protection Act 1998. Any person wishing to use IT facilities for such a purpose shall be required to inform the Authorized Officer in advance and to comply with any restrictions that may be imposed concerning the manner in which the data may be held or the processing carried out.
- No person shall use IT facilities for private financial gain or for commercial purposes, including consultancy or any other work outside the scope of official duties or functions for the time being, without specific authorization to do so.
- Any person who misuses IT facilities or who uses IT facilities for private financial gain or for commercial purposes, with or without specific authorization to do so, may be charged with the cost of such use or misuse at a rate determined from time to time by the appropriate Authorized Officer. If any person who has been so charged with the cost of IT resources fails to make reimbursement, any authorization to use IT facilities shall be suspended automatically until reimbursement is made in full, and the matter shall be reported by the Syndicate to the appropriate University or College financial authority.
- No person shall use IT facilities for unlawful activities.
- Any person believed to be in breach of one or more of these rules shall be reported by the Authorized Officer to the Syndicate who may at their discretion, after considering the Officer's report and any other relevant matters, impose a penalty or penalties in accordance with Regulation 5(g) for the Syndicate. The Syndicate may also recommend to the appropriate University or College authority that proceedings be initiated under either or both of the University and College disciplinary procedures and any appropriate legislation.